English website

Permission to play street music

Dear Street Musicians,

Welcome to Bonn, the city of Beethoven! We are pleased that you would like to add a musical accompaniment to the charm and flair of our cosmopolitan city. To ensure that you can give musical pleasure to as many passers-by as possible and to enable a peaceful coexistence between the individual street musicians, however, there are certain guidelines in the City of Bonn that you are required to observe and apply.

Performing in Bonn’s streets is only permitted with a valid permit.

It is also necessary to comply with the following rules:

  • Do not interrupt the road traffic.
  • You are required to change your location after a maximum of 30 minutes. Your new location must be out of visual and audible range from the previous location. Returning to a previous location is only permitted two hours after your previous change of location.
  • The use of electrical amplifiers is not permitted under any circumstances.
  • Comply with the instructions of the police and local officials.
  • If this permit is issued to several persons, it is only valid for
    a joint performance as a group and at the same location.
  • No drums, drum sets or similar may be used.
  • Due to the particular structural situation and the resulting emissions in this area which exceed normal levels, it is not permitted to perform in the area of “Marktbrücke” between
    “Remigiusplatz” and “Markt”. Moreover, it is prohibited to perform in the immediate vicinity of events and locations that are not to be disturbed. These include church services, processions, funerals, lessons or the peace and quiet in hospitals.
  • It is not allowed to perform at events or markets without a permit.
  • It is prohibited to perform on quiet public holidays:
    Maundy Thursday (Gründonnerstag) from 6 pm, Good Friday (Karfreitag), Memorial Day (Volkstrauertag), Eternity Sunday (Totensonntag/Ewigkeitssonntag) and All Saints’ Day (Allerheiligen).

This permit does not entitle you to sell products (such as sound carriers of any kind) on public ways or places, nor to use a certain location. This does not include self-produced CDs containing original (not covered) songs. In all other cases, a special permit is required.

This permit is available from the Citizens’ Services (Bürgerdienste),
Department of Regulatory Affairs (Abteilung Ordnungsangelegenheiten, Office 33-11).

Tel: 0228 77 25 45

The permission to issue a performance permit is based on Art.10 NRW Pollution Control Act (Landes-Immissionsschutzgesetz NRW) (LImschG NRW) and Art. 1 General Administrative Fees Ordinance in connection with Art. 9 of the Fees Act of the Federal State of NRW (Allgemeine Verwaltungsgebührenordnung i.V.m §9 Gebührengesetz für das Land NRW).

Thank you for your cooperation.
The City of Bonn