English website

Applying for a residence permit.

Citizens of non-EU countries need a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) for stays exceeding 3 months if not exempted by a special agreement. The application is dealt with at the immigration office (Ausländeramt).

Required documents:

  • Confirmation of registration (Anmeldebestätigung)
  • Valid Passport
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof that the individual can support himself/herself financially
  • One current biometric photo
  • Documents concerning the reason for residence

A temporary residence permit (valid for three months) will be issued and may be renewed. A task force of four employees exclusively deal with the concerns of the international staff and family of the international organisations and the Secretariats of the United Nations, the University, and the scientific institutions.

Making an appointment:

The application is dealt with at the immigration office (Ausländeramt), Oxfordstraße 19, 53111 Bonn, phone: 0228 776000. Appointments can be made in advance with the linked form or  auslaenderamtbonnde

Save & share

explanations and notes


  • Foto: Michael Sondermann/Bundesstadt Bonn
  • Giacomo Zucca / Bundesstadt Bonn
  • B. Wylezich - Fotolia
  • Giacomo Zucca / Bundesstadt Bonn
  • City of Bonn
  • Michael Sondermann/Bundesstadt Bonn

By using this website, you agree that this site may use cookies. Privacy policy