English website

EU citizens in Germany – Freedom of movement.


Please note: Due to the current situation, personal interviews with the Immigration Office are only possible with an appointment until further notice. We ask for your understanding for this measure.

If you wish to send an inquiry or an application to the Immigration Office Bonn, you can do it primarily by e-mail. We will process your inquiry as soon as possible and contact you by e-mail, letter or telephone.

For telephone inquiries, you can call the service number 0228 77 6000.

According to the Freedom of Movement Act/EU, EU citizens have the right to enter the other EU countries at any time and to reside anywhere in the EU (freedom of movement).

For entry and residence in Germany, they require neither a visa nor a residence permit. EU citizens fulfil their obligations by holding a valid passport or identity card and registering their place of residence at the registration office.

In principle, self-employed or employed workers, service providers or recipients of services as well as EU citizens who wish to stay in Germany to search a job or for professional education are entitled to freedom of movement.

Non-employed EU citizens, pensioners and students also have the right of entry and residence. However, this is only possible if they have a sufficient health insurance and can secure their own livelihood.

EU citizens entitled to freedom of movement have the right to allow family members (spouses and life partners, children, grandchildren who are not yet 21 years old, parents and grandparents) from non-EU countries to join them.

Family members entitled to freedom of movement who are not EU citizens are issued with a residence card, usually for a period of five years.

If you have any questions, you can contact the staff below.