Numerous organizations and institutions that are based in Bonn are involved in the field of disaster risk reduction and management. In addition to United Nations agencies, these include federal authorities, scientific institutions, development organizations, companies, relief organizations, NGOs and many others.
Since 2010, the City of Bonn has been involved in international cooperation in the field of disaster risk reduction and management, especially in collaboration with the United Nations Early Warning Platform ISDR and the city network ICLEI - Cities for Sustainability. The most recent example of this is the cooperation with the city of Lautoka (Fiji) initiated during the 23rd World Climate Conference in Bonn as part of the ICLEI Front-Line Islands & Cities Initiative. This initiative brings together cities bordering seas and rivers at risk from climate change with municipalities in small island states.
To promote networking and exchange among national and international actors from politics, civil society, science and the private sector based in Bonn, the Bonn Network for International Disaster Risk Reduction and Management was founded in 2017.
The Bonn Network is intended to form a broad coalition of actors from all areas and levels to
- strengthen the exchange and networking of actors involved in disaster risk reduction and management on site.
- inform on related tasks, services, events and projects
Consolidate Bonn as a center of competence in the field of international disaster risk reduction and management.
Public Lecture Series: Summer Term 2019
The Department of Geography of the University of Bonn and the City of Bonn, jointly with numerous resident organizations, have launched a public lecture series entitled “International Civil Protection and Disaster Risk Reduction”, providing some insight into the practical work of the United Nations, federal ministries and authorities, businesses, academia and NGOs in Bonn and in the region.
The lectures for the summer term 2019 will either be held in German or in English respectively and will again be taking place at alternating venues until July.
Further members of the Bonn Network
- Federal Office of Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance (BBK)
- Deutsche Post DHL Group
- German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- German Committee for Disaster Reduction e.V. (DKKV)
- Deutsches Rotes Kreuz - Kreisverband Bonn (DRK)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- International Centre for Sustainable Development (IZNE), University of Applied Sciences (H-BRS)
- Technisches Hilfswerk (THW)
- Disaster Management and Risk Governance, University of Bonn
- Institute for Environment and Human Security, United Nations University (UNU-EHS)
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR)
- United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UN-Spider)
Your search returned no results
Did you spell all the words correctly?