Fairtrade is an alternative approach to conventional trade and is based on a partnership between producers and consumers. Fairtrade offers producers a better deal and improved terms of trade. This allows them the opportunity to improve their lives and plan for their future. Fairtrade offers consumers a powerful way to reduce poverty through their everyday shopping.
Fairtrade International has secured a grant from the European Commission’s (EC) Framework Partnership Agreement (FPA) to deliver a multi-stakeholder, four-and-a-half-year project (2019-2023). This project aims to strengthen Fairtrade as a global Civil Society umbrella organisation, supporting regional members to give a voice to and empower over 1200 Producer Organisations globally.
The project, entitled “Unlocking the Power of Producers and Workers to Drive Inclusive Trade and Development through Fairtrade”, covers five interrelated work-streams: Governance; Participation & Inclusion; Operational Capacity Strengthening; Producer-led Advocacy; and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning. The project looks to ensure that vulnerable farmers and agricultural workers are empowered through producer and worker organizations. These organizations serve as vehicles of inclusive development through the delivery of economic, social and environmental benefits for their members and communities.
The project will be implemented at a global level and across the main regional networks. This position will focus on Asia-Pacific region, and will be based in Bonn, Germany.
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The post holder will provide oversight and overall coordination to effectively deliver project objectives in the Asia-Pacific (AP hereafter) region, while ensuring the corresponding financial and narrative reporting obligations are delivered to the consortium in a timely and coordinated manner:
(in coordination with Fairtrade International’s Global Resource Mobilization team)
• Develop project workplans and budgets
• Develop project implementation strategies for the Asia-Pacific region
• Maintain project oversight, planning, coordination, implementation and quality assurance
• Continuously assess risks related to project implementation and formulate mitigation strategies.
• Provide support to the different work streams to achieve the project’s goals
• Monitor project performance and support continuous improvement.
• Proactively support advocacy efforts at national, regional and international levels.
• Disseminate top level programme recommendations and key learnings with staff and relevant stakeholders
• Support FI in AP to establish and maintain strategic partnerships across the regional networks and thematic areas.
• Deliver narrative and financial reports in accordance with project, donor and organisational requirements
• Maintain a database of all project documents and reports.
Financial grant management
(in coordination with Fairtrade International’s Finance department)
• Control financial and cash flow
• Monitor activities and expenses
• Manage effective and cost efficient administrative and internal financial procedures
• Provide periodic reports, as required
• Maintain oversight of the project’s bookkeeping, payments etc.
• Manage budgetary and financial resources, assure quality standards and timeliness, set up and implement interim, annual and final financial reports
• Produce up-to-date reports on the project for staff, management and the FI Board.
• Support the presentation of the project in internal and external events
• Travel, as required.
• Perform other duties and tasks, consistent with the skills and expertise, as required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
• This is a 1 year fixed-term full-time position within Fairtrade International. This is a full time job and is based in Bonn, Germany.
• Starting date: as soon as possible thereafter
• The working language is English
• Salary as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement (Gross- und Außenhandel NRW), level Via (4,369.26 Euros Gross per month) plus attractive benefits package.
• 30 days annual leave and flexible working hours.
Professional Knowledge and Language Skills
Level of education
• An advanced degree in a social sciences or other related Masters programme. A bachelors’ degree in social sciences or development studies with 5 years’ experience in project management will be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
Knowledge / Job Specific Competencies
• At least 5 years’ experience in project management.
• Experience with the implementation and planning of complex, multi-country development projects funded by public/private donors and/or development agency partnerships
• Expertise in project financial management, budget monitoring and forecasting
• Experience managing projects funded by the European Commission (EC) or similar donor agencies
• Knowledge of current development policy trends and frameworks, especially the Sustainable Development Goals.
• Experience managing EC-funded programmes in Asia-Pacific is an asset.
• Experience in implementation of organisational development projects is an asset.
• Good understanding of Inclusion (in particular Gender and Youth) in development contexts, is an asset.
• Project Management
• Financial / Budget Management
• Communication – written and verbal
• Organizational Development
• Fluent written and spoken English.
• Demonstrable ability to drive forward work on own initiative
• Demonstrable ability to motivate and engage others
• Demonstrable ability to tackle challenges and manage conflict
• Be highly organised and able to prioritize and multi-task effectively
• Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Be results-oriented, respect deadlines and give attention to details
• Please consult www.fairtrade.net for more information on Fairtrade International and the Fairtrade system
• Please apply by email only, in English, with Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter to applicationsfairtradenet citing “Project Manager AP EC FPA” in the subject line
• Deadline for applications is 29 February 2020
• By sending the application documents you voluntarily consent to Fairtrade International to use and process your personal data for the purpose of this application procedure.
• You can revoke your consent at any time via email to applicationsfairtradenet.
Please note that Fairtrade International is strict on compliance with the required qualification criteria mentioned above, and only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
|Duration of Appointment||1 year with possibility of extension|
|Entry on Duty||01.04.2020|