Internship for enrolled students
Professional Knowledge and Language Skills
Internship Opportunity in Bonn, Germany
Join ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) is a global network of more than 1,750 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 100+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development. Our Members and team of experts work together through peer exchange, partnerships and capacity building to create systemic change for urban sustainability.
We are offering the following position to support the Research Team:
Intern (for a mandatory internship)
The position is open to eligible and qualified Master students and PhD candidates, who have to conclude a mandatory internship as part of their studies.
An internship at ICLEI offers the opportunity to acquire direct practical experience on sustainability knowledge under the supervision of experienced staff. Internships are offered depending on the availability of meaningful assignments as well as the needs and capacity of the team to receive and supervise interns.
Interns will be a part of the international ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany and will be placed within the Research Team. In this current COVID-19 pandemic the internship will be a remotely supervised internship.
The intern will:
• Assist the implementation of ICLEI’s Global Research Strategy and relevant projects by supporting delivery on specific objectives (also with reference to the intern’s own thematic study interests),
• Support the collection of data and information and the compilation of ICLEI knowledge products (briefing sheets, case studies, etc.), linking current & relevant trends in academia to ICLEI’s work,
• Support the publication process of ICLEI’s peer-reviewed knowledge products, such as the Springer book series on sustainability and resilience,
• Assist in the implementation of projects managed by the Research Team and ad hoc research tasks as required.
Formal essential requirements:
• Being enrolled in a vocational training or university in a relevant subject, such as urban planning, environmental science, public policy, engineering, or similar.
Professional requirements and behavioral competences:
• Excellent communication skills and command of English (speaking, writing and reading). Knowing additional language(s) is an asset.
• Strong writing skills (scientific reports, case studies, etc.).
• Strong analytical skills; competent in MS Excel (being competent with the other statistical analysis software such as SPSS is a plus).
• Familiar with research process (having a published paper (or currently working on a paper is a plus).
• Confident user of Microsoft Office, and ideally also graphical design software such as Photoshop.
• Positive, flexible and pro-active work attitude.
Terms and conditions
• ICLEI is offering a monthly compensation of EUR 880 gross (brutto) for the full time internship unless they benefit from a scholarship (in which case there will be no additional compensation).
• The position will be available for a period of minimum three months to maximum six months.
• Possible start date: July 2020
• The intern will be supervised by the Research Officer and report to the Interim Head of Research / Director of the carbonn Climate Center
• Working hours: 40/week, 2,5 days of leave per full month
• Working language: English
• Due to legal requirements, applicants must have or be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
• Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship will be a remote position through tele-supervision (potential for a few in-person meetings during on-boarding, as needed), until ICLEI ends the current “work from home” policy, after which then the intern will work at the ICLEI World Secretariat premises on a daily basis until the end of contract.
Please by email to careers.bonn at iclei.org. Please include “Intern - Research Team” in the subject line, and include:
• A brief email introduction of your interest in responding to this call, and
• A short letter of motivation, up to date CV, previous employment certificates and/or letters of reference (if these exist), all merged into one PDF file of up to 5 MB size.
In addition, please provide the following information in your email:
• Indication of citizenship; if non-EU, whether applicant is holder of a work permit for Germany
(Do you have a work permit from German government that allows you to work as an intern alongside your studies?)
• Insurance: Do you have a German health insurance that could also be used for your internship?
• Funding/scholarship: Do you benefit from any funding/scholarship for your study? If yes, (1) please name the fund/scholarship and the organization providing it, and (2) does your funding cover the internship period?
• Indication of possible start date
• Indication of envisaged duration of internship (minimum of 3 to maximum of 6 months): according to ICLEI policy and German law these internship positions are possible for a minimum of 3 months to maximum of 6 months (the intent to conduct a six months internship will receive preference)
• Equipment: do you have a laptop and access to the internet (for the home office period)?
• Location: where are you staying at the moment (during COVID-19 pandemic)? Please indicate the city (this is particularly important to ensure the intern and the supervisor can have a minimum number of in-person meetings at ICLEI premises in Bonn during the on-boarding phase).
Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI World Secretariat’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organization hires employees without regard to their gender, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their relevant qualifications and competencies.
Please kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability e.V.
53113 Bonn, Germany
|Duration of Appointment||3 to 6 months|
|Entry on Duty||01.07.2020|